La Jurade de Saint Emilion
Background The Jurade de Saint-Émilion, the appellation’s vinous brotherhood, can trace its roots back to a royal charter issued in 1199 by John Lackland, King of England.
This granted economic, political, and legal rights to the jurats, or aldermen, of Saint-Émilion. These local notables and magistrates were empowered with the town’s general administration.
In exchange for these rights, England was granted the “privilège des Vins de Saint-Émilion”.The Jurade’s authority lasted until the French Revolution of 1789.
In 1948, several winegrowers resuscitated the Jurade in the form of a vinous brotherhood – a group of ambassadors to spread the good word about Saint-Émilion wines far and wide. They also swore to do their upmost to guarantee the authenticity and quality of Saint-Émilion wines.
This year to thank our two guests for their involvement in promoting wines from Bordeaux and Saint Emilion, their support and trust and friendship over the last few years, we thought that acquainting them in the Jurade was a good way of showing our gratitude.
To Edward Squires and Peter Jeffree: Gentlemen THANK YOU.